> I don't agree about the "far more" part... if Lua had full lexcial scoping,
> my existing programs would immediately benefit as I could remove all those
> ugly manual closures I build with tables.  Newcomers to Lua wouldn't have to
> struggle with the mystery of upvalues.

Hear hear. IMO lexical scoping would have a greater immediate beneficial
effect, as it both simplifies the language for newbies and makes
encapsulation easier for experts. Tail recursion might be more useful to
some, but its lack is more work-aroundable.

--
http://sc3d.org/rrt/
L'art des vers est de transformer en beautés les faiblesses (Aragon)