Functions as first class objects are certainly useful.  Giving them a
meaningful context within another function does make them more useful by
allowing you to write code that is better factored.  For simple scripting it
is unnecessary, I agree.  For more complex jobs like game AI, it can be very
nice and looks like it will be nicer with more generalized scoping rules.

As to how Lua should be labeled, I'm not too worried.  The folks that care
can (and should) hash that out.  At least there's no big disagreement about
how Lua works or what would be cooler.

Russ