> for k, v in tab do
>    local v = v
>    actors[k] = function (x) act_on(v, x) end
> end

Sounds like it'll be great.  I'm looking forward to reading about it in more
detail.

k and v locals in the block enclosing these 4 lines of code, right?  So I'm
a little confused as to why "local v=v" is needed.

Wouldn't v just be found as a local of the next block up and have the
correct value to be bound when actors[k] is defined?  Why does it have to be
copied to the immediately enclosing block?

Russ