>On the other hand, I notice that the zlib/libpng license has the clause:
>
>  2.  Altered source versions must be plainly marked as such, and must
>  not be misrepresented as being the original software.

So does the Lua license!
"If you change the syntax or the semantics, don't call it Lua" is not in the
license, it's an interpretation (as explained in the FAQ).

The zlib/libpng is essentially the same as the Lua license.
As far as I can tell, they all come from Henry Spencer's rexexp package in
the 1980's. See http://anso.virtualave.net/RegExpE/tregexpr_disclaimer.htm .
--lhf