I've written a tracer of Lua API calls. It's available at
	ftp://ftp.tecgraf.puc-rio.br/pub/lhf/ctrace.tar.gz
It has been tested with Lua 4.0 and 4.1w4.

Here is a portion of the README:

 This is a program to help trace Lua API calls. The program ctrace.lua reads
 lua.h and outputs ctrace.c and ctrace.h. In your client code, change lua.h
 to ctrace.h and rebuild, linking ctrace.o with it. A trace of Lua API calls
 will appear in stdout when you run your program.

Enjoy.
--lhf

PS: I've been digging up old stuff and making it available. Hence the flood
    of announcements lately. I hope these tools are useful.