I use the python os.path module for a handy reference.

python/lib/
  dospath.py
  macpath.py
  macurl2path.py
  ntpath.py
  nturl2path.py
  posixpath.py

http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-os.path.html
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/6.2/en/os/alpha/mnt
/source/usr/lib/python1.5/macpath.py
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/6.2/en/os/alpha/mnt
/source/usr/lib/python1.5/ntpath.py
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/redhat/6.2/en/os/alpha/mnt
/source/usr/lib/python1.5/posixpath.py

Even if you can't read python very good, there are useful comments. For
example, in macpath.py:

# Normalize a pathname: get rid of '::' sequences by backing up,
# e.g., 'foo:bar::bletch' becomes 'foo:bletch'.
# Raise the exception norm_error below if backing up is impossible,
# e.g., for '::foo'.
# XXX The Unix version doesn't raise an exception but simply
# returns an unnormalized path.  Should do so here too.

hope that helps,
D.McClurg