>I think it's time to stop adding features (apart from transparent improvements
>like generational gc) and start building on it.

We think so too. Lua 5 brings two important new language features: lexical
scoping and coroutines. Lexical scoping cleans up the "strange" upvalue stuff.
Coroutines makes Lua much more expressive. The other changes are more or less
just cleaning up, even lexical scoping and metatables.

While Lua won't be frozen from now on, big changes will be unlikely, we hope.
Most of our effort will concentrated on the implementation internals, such as
incremental GC, and perhaps fine tuning of the C API.
--lhf