lhf wrote:
The name of the list would have to be lua-users-xxx@sf.net? That's fine.
We could have lua-users-general, lua-users-announcements, etc, right?
We could start with lua-users-l or if possible simply lua-users@sf.net.
It'd be nice to have lua-l but I don't think it's a must.

Last year you said explicitly that lua-users-l@ was no good. Must be desperate times :-).

The ad thing is an annoyance and it may get worse. Witness what happened
with Yahoo Groups...

Here is an example of the ads as they are now:

People are often lazy about trimming footers in their replies, so unfortunately this can get quite messy in long threads.

A potential showstopper: it doesn't appear that sourceforge provides raw mail archives. If someone knows otherwise, please respond.

Is there a real alternative to SF? I mean, is there a large company (?)
that hosts mailing lists freely and that has a long life expectancy?

May I ask why you couldn't run Mailman (which is what sourceforge uses, and what I recommend) on the server hosting lua.org?

I don't think it's such a big deal for a lua-user to take this on as far as setup time and resource usage. I'm sure several of us have spare web hosting space and bandwidth to offer. The trick is migrating things smoothly when it's time to pass the baton from one person's server to another's.

Perhaps Thatcher's Pair account is a good idea. I have access to a Pair account also, but we're planning to migrate elsewhere in the near future so I don't think it would be wise to offer it. Pair also uses Mailman which open source, flexible and easy to administer by web. I don't think Thatcher would have to do much more than enable the list, as the you or I could do administration remotely.

-John

--
http:// if   l .   /