Martin Spernau wrote:

Hi Andre
I think you would interested in the LuaCheia project:
http://luacheia.lua-users.org
We are dealing with some similar issues, trying to package the most usefull Lua libaries into a 'complete' distribution.

Let me be more specific:
LuaCheia's Application Binary Interface
http://luacheia.lua-users.org/doc/ABI.html

This doc was written by Thatcher Ulrich following a very similar discussion on this list some weeks ago.

As to naming all shared linaries the same on all platforms: we had exactly that discussion and came to the point that it is simply not practical (and won't work on some)... We use a wrapper function to turn the module name into a fully qualified libary pathname following the platforms specific naming conventions.

-Martin