Without following the whole thread (there's been too much of it.. ;) I strongly feel module namespaces (s.a. 'socket') should be regarded read-only. Period. This can either be enforced, or left as a non-spoken rule, but I see no valid reason for changing things once they're loaded.

Extending a module (loading in several phases) is one valid situation, though, but even then the added features should be read-only.

..my 0.01e :)