On Friday 11 June 2004 15:35, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> > A weak-keyed table will prevent a pair from being collected if the
> > value contains the only strong reference to the key.
>
> Do you have real examples where that happen?

No.

> > The array should be accessible given only a pointer to the userdata
> > [...]
> > Everything is fine as long as a pointer to a userdata is never stored
> > without a corresponding reference in the array part.
>
> If you have the reference, why do you need access to the array with the
> pointer? Why can't you use the reference?

I needn't have the reference. For example, suppose I register a callback with
some other library, and that library will pass along a void pointer for me to
keep state in. Probably I'll need to have a struct like this:

struct MyState {
    lua_State* L;
    MyClass* cls; // This is a pointer to a userdata
};

And that's all the information I have when the callback runs. No way to get at
the array part (for example to hand off to a Lua callback), except via the
pointer. Of course, I could maintain a lookup table in the registry, but then
that's two extra table accesses on creation, destruction, and use. Or, I
could keep the userdata on the stack and add an extra struct member to record
where, but that breaks encapsulation somewhat, and it wouldn't be practical
if there are lots of callbacks registered. It's possible to 'leave the
reference behind' in various other ways too, and usually the lookup table is
the most practical solution.

I can't think of any situation in which it would be really disasterous to have
to first obtain the userdata. It's just not the most useful behaviour: it
means a bunch of extra bookkeeping in order to get information that Lua
already knows. Arguably, it would be more general and consistent to have a
separate lua_pushuserdata and then for the array operations to use the
reference. That just means two extra stack operations for an array access,
which isn't too big a deal.

-- Jamie Webb