Daniel Silverstone wrote:

I've never used SVN in anger. It still litters your working tree with .svn directories so in a way it's no better than CVS; but at least they have a leading dot and thus are hidden from the average user's ls usage.

I assume the reason that .svn directories are high on your list of problems with Subversion is, that when you want to copy things out of your Subversion repo you have to go back and clean up? If this is the problem it can be solved with the svn export command:

server:~> svn help export
export: Create an unversioned copy of a tree.
usage: 1. export [-r REV] URL [PATH]
       2. export [-r REV] PATH1 [PATH2]

Regards
--