Hi,

=== industrial applications of Lua ===
In a big project here Lua lost against Python simply due to existing experience with Python (boolean functions, GUI).

Basically I am not interested in evangelizing Lua but in solving problems. These key features were helpful for Lua to be selected in annother case:
- small footprint
- lean language suitable to various programing styles
- very simple to extend Lua with customized functions (e.g. which give access to PC hardware)
- very simple to put Lua on top of existing software

This may show, where Lua could make a difference and along which line lua should be developed.

What I am interested in:
- boolean functions (did it ourselves)
- SMBus access (I2C bus access)
- USB access

=== Lua in econometrics and statistics ===
Privately, I have a hobby which is a bit nerdy: In http://poorcity.richcity.org/LuaIneq you find the computations of inequality measures. I am interested in entropy measures in econometrics and generally in areas, where thermodynamics and economics overlap. As for the inequality measures: I used Lua to turn a spreadsheed (which I did some years ago) into a Lua program. Presently I do not have too much time for my hobby, but I took the chance to do some exercise here in Lua and Python. In this little project as well as in annothe project now started by an colleague I found out, that seemingly Lua seems to be very easy to learn.
   So for evangelists one target group could be students and scientists in social sciences.  I don't imply that they couldn't cope with complex languages. But usually they are not so fascinated by programming itself and need solutions. So an easy to comprehend language like Lua may be interesting.
   As for econometric functions and statistics, spreadsheet functions as used in OpenOffice and Excel could show what is required. Also interesting to cyclic iteration, e.g. as required to compute compound interest: http://www.multi-matrix.de/English.htm
   (This once was annother nerdy hobby of mine as described in http://gaya.scienza.de/investor.htm in German.)

=== Lua in publishing ===
I started to use Lua in my econometrical application when I was writing a short description to a friend on how to compute inequalities. Half way on typing nice formulas (with OpenOffice) I stopped that and wrote an executable program instead of fighting with formula typesetting. If authors of publications in economics would have a nice language which could be used to replace (error prone and still tedious) formula type setting by (easy to type and to test) program segments, then such a language could win in this field.

Best regards
Goetz