On 10-Aug-04, at 10:06 PM, Michael T. Richter wrote:

It's been asserted that there is no real-time solution to garbage collection here at a theoretical level. Wasn't Baker's Treadmill a real-time version of the tri-colour abstraction? I know that it has a couple of performance problems in its naive implementation, but I thought there were plausible
optimisations of it that rendered it worthwhile.

Garbage collection time is a function of heap size; if the heap is sufficiently small, real-time performance should be practical. It is only problematic if you have a large heap; in that case, there are a number of solutions but none of them are simple.