It would be very nice to see this in the standard library. In
particular, it would be good for dumping chunks. (Self-interest is my
primary motivation here; Pluto had to stop using the luaL_buffer
functions, because they mess with the stack, and it would be nice to
move from my rather inefficient replacement to a nice, standardized
solution.)

Ben