I have a situation where I want to distribute a Lua script as part of a shell
script package. The Lua script needs to be as small as humanly possible, but
doesn't have to be editable.

Any suggestions?

The traditional thing to do with C in this case is to run the source through a
cruncher; this will strip out comments and whitespace, and the really good
ones will rename all your identifiers to be as short as possible. Identifier
renaming in a language as dynamic as Lua is probably going to lead to a
World-O-Pain(TM), but the rest would still likely be useful, and not
particularly difficult.

To my surprise, running the script through luac makes things *bigger* ---
presumably due to inefficient opcode encoding. Can anyone suggest any other
strategies I could adopt? (I'm already using gzip to compress the final
result.)

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "There is no expedient to which a man will not
+- www.cowlark.com --+