> If the target is to remove compiler warnings -

As much as we can :)

> lgc.c(121) : warning C4244: '=' : conversion from 'int ' to 'unsigned
> char ', possible loss of data

The compiler could be smarter here :( The 'int' expression is in
the form ((a & b) | c), where a and c are chars and b is a small
constant. It is not difficult to infer that the result fits in a char.

> lstring.c(82) : warning C4709: comma operator within array index expression

What is wrong with a comma operator in an index? (Maybe someone may
think it is a matrix access, like a[i,j]? Then extra parentheses should
stop the warning, but they do not.)  Is there anything we can do about
that warning?

> liolib.c(198) : warning C4090: '=' : different 'const' qualifiers

Is this Lua 5.1 beta? This line seems to be a comment...

> loslib.c(211) : warning C4702: unreachable code

I know no solution to this case. If we put the return, VC complains. If
we remove it, other compilers complain.

-- Roberto