If I just use IupOpen, iuplua_open and iupkey_open, the dialog shows but
does not respond (hour glass when cursor is over the box, does not
respond to clicks), I have to kill the app. If I add in the IUP Controls
libs the app just crashes on the dlg:show() call.

 Have you tried something simple like:

#include <lua.h>
#include <lualib.h>
#include <lauxlib.h>

#include <iup.h>
#include <iupcontrols.h>

#include <iuplua.h>
#include <iupluacontrols.h>

int main(void)
{
  lua_State *L;

  IupOpen();
  IupControlsOpen();

  /* Lua 5 initialization */
  L = lua_open();
  luaopen_base(L);
  luaopen_table(L);
  luaopen_io(L);
  luaopen_string(L);
  luaopen_math(L);

  iuplua_open(L);      /* Initialize Binding Lua */
  iupcontrolslua_open(L); /* Inicialize CPI controls binding Lua */

  /* do other things, like running a lua script */
  lua_dofile(L, "myfile.lua");

  IupMainLoop();  /* could be here or inside "myfile.lua" */

  lua_close(L);

  IupControlsClose();
  IupClose();

  return 0;
}

  Just to test your build.

If this is also not working then someyhing could be wrong in the VC project. Did you build a new project or used the one available in the distribution?

Best,
scuri