Mark Edgar wrote:
That being said, it is possible to write a C module for "console" I/O which would provide this behavior on <insert-your-platform-of-choice>.

I don't know of any projects which do this.

OK, so I found LuaCurses:

http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~tngd/lua/lcurses.html

At this point you may say "But I don't want a full-screen terminal application, I just want to read from the terminal asynchronously."

You'll find that most text-based applications are either CLI-based (reading a line at a time from the user, perhaps using something like readline) or curses-based (taking up the full terminal screen for the time that they are running). You'll want to decide which flavor application you want to build, and then stick with that choice. There's really no middle ground here.

					-Mark