 Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
> > Ideally of course, I would love to have a test suite in the Lua
> > tarball, but I'm okay with any decision.
>
> We do not like this idea. It is too dificult to have tests that are both
> portable and complete. (E.g., testing comand-line options, environment
> variables like LUA_PATH and LUA_INIT, submodules, C modules, not to
> mention limitations in machine resources).  Moreover, it is quite common
> for some tests to fail due to bugs in libc. A complete (hard) test suite
> "too public" creates too much noise.

I agree with Doug Rogers and Kein-Hong Man. Maybe, each person has
a different perspective on what is being tested.
The test suite is *not*  so much a Lua suite as a test of the
platform/environment that is using  Lua (Lua gets used in many ways,
the DirextX stuff as an example). I think it is a role for the Lua
community to create this, any help from the authors would be great.
The creation of such a test suite would surely foster wider usage
of Lua.

David B