> Any time I see a catch(...), I start worrying

Agreed. If you look at the 5.1 code you'll see that Lua throws a
lua_longjmp*.  Therefore, I think that Lua should only catch a lua_longjmp*
and not a "...".  Any other exception thrown within luaD_rawrunprotected
should be considered a programming error.

As an alternative to my more generic patch (posted earlier), here is a very
small patch (untested) that I think addresses the (...) issue only:

#define LUAI_TRY(L,c,a)	\
	try
	{
	}
	catch(lua_longjmp*)
	{
		if ((c)->status == 0)
			(c)->status = -1;
	}
	catch(...)
	{
		// Serious design error. Implementers are required to
		// throw *only* lua_longjmp*.

		// At this point we have no idea if the Lua stack has
		// an error message on it, and we don't know if (c)->status
		// is valid. All bets are off.

		// Pick your action  :-)
		assert(false);
		exit(-1);