> But typical video games only refresh at 60Hz, which is 17ms. Even a
> great card might hit 120fps, which is around 8.5ms. The worst case
> system response, if an event is received right after a frame starts
> rendering, is double that, or 17ms. That means 17ms between the time a
> button is pressed and the response is seen on the screen, assuming 0
> event latency and 0 time to process the event. So I just don't see the
> "gamers will notice a 10ms delay" argument. That's way below the
> theoretical limit.

Best way is to test it - introduce a set delay into your loop.  Do this in
some quick gameplay demo or other and try different delay times.  See how it
really acts.  Run benchmarks of some sort to see if your delay mechanism is
working properly and try to find the point at which it really makes a
difference.  Then you'll know.

Richard