Hi,

Unfortunately, on Windows, select only supports sockets.

This is highly misleading. Yes, select() only supports sockets on Windows.

Hey! Don't you think it would have been even more misleading
if I answered the original post by saying it is all a
"simple" matter of changing Lua and LuaSocket to use
WaitForMultipleObjects, and that whoever wrote Lua and
LuaSocket should have done that in the first place, what
were they thinking. :)

If you really want to do a good job on Windows, you have to
use I/O completion ports. Unfortunately, this forces the
users to changes the way they write code. The code becomes
event based. We are discussing this for LuaSocket 3.0,
but I am not sure yet if we will come up with a Simple
Unified Solution that will for for everyone.

Regards,
Diego.