on 9/8/06 5:21 AM, Reuben Thomas at rrt@sc3d.org wrote:

> 2. Would it be interesting enough to make it a compile-time option? From
> looking at the code it would seem possible to replace internal calls to
> various tonumber and tostring options with "casttonumber" and
> "casttostring", which could have appropriate compile-time definitions.

I would strongly endorse making this a compile time option. If someone
passes the wrong sort of data to a routine, I'd rather detect it than try to
work around it.

On the other hand, I really wish there were a code in string.format for
"take the corresponding argument and run it through tostring". This would
help a lot when generating debugging output where the data may have
arbitrary types.

Mark