We only want that for the standard Lua interpreter so that users do not
have to rebuild it every time they want a new library. Libraries can be
then distributed in binary form as a dynamic library and users do not
even have to have or know how to operate a C compiler (much less create
a dynamic library).

And, yes, for the standard Lua interpreter we strongly recommend
statically linking the core into it. (Unless you're in Windows, when you
need the core to be a DLL if you want to load user DLLs.)

> Can you do that with WoW or lightroom?

You cannot do any direct form of I/O in World of Warcraft's Lua
sandbox, everything is handled from the C side of things, which we
obviously have no access to.  I'd love to be able to load binary
modules, but I won't hold my breath =)