Jerome Vuarand wrote:
Ideally you could block anonymous edits on a per-page basis, just like
wikipedia does. For example you could block anonymous edits on the front
page since it's the one most likely to be vandalized.

I saw too many good Wiki closed because of spam... :-(
What was a good idea/concept has been ruined by greedy people, once again.
I reckon that sometime I see a typo or want to make a small remark on a software or a page, so I search an e-mail address or a forum. In the later case, if I need to log in, in 9 cases out of 10, I just go away...
On the other hand, without good moderators or filters, spam is a plague.

I saw a forum with 3 or 4 sections, all of them almost empty except one... which was filled of spam.

And I started to make a blog, with s9y which doesn't display the number of comments in the main page. When I had a look at the database, I saw I had actually lot of comments. A quick scan shown that I could just do 'truncate table'... While the blog software blocked lot of spam attacks already.

Hey, I even saw in a forum a topic advertizing for a service (located in Russian, IIRC) of human operators to post spam on forums...

--
Philippe Lhoste
--  (near) Paris -- France