Tables that can handle 'embedded' nils - it probably requires too much
change to the table library. Another possibility would be to have a
special unique non-nil value (call it 'null') which is used to
represent any embedded nils in {...}. Then whenever next() sees
'null', it returns a value of nil.  Of course, it might be useful to
mark such tables for efficiency reasons, and certainly {...} is not
the only place where 'null' could be useful, but it's the most
irksome.

steve d.