Although lua might not be used by programmers, Visual Studio is.
Windows has always been a binary platform, if you need to compile anything for it, you're a programmer, or at least someone who knows what the deal is. I'm sure Bryan knows this, but what made me respond in an apparently condescending way was the way it was formulated, "This is a bug, fix it", not "Is this a bug", "Is this lua or the os?", and above all else, "Is this my doing?".

As for the actual reason for the problem to begin with, I doubt many people will face it in practice. I've only come across this a limited number of times, and it's always been either ill configured manifest, or missing msvc binaries on machines without visual studio installed. Pretty much all of the problems associated with this type of thing will be logged by windows. Usually there's an error identifier which you can just google, and one of the first hits will most likely give you both the reason and solution (usually msdn in this case)

If there's enough interest in this I could set up a page on the wiki that deals specifically with building lua for Vista, but I don't think it's necessary.

Jerome Vuarand wrote:
Stefan Sandberg wrote:
I'm sorry if I came of sounding that way though, I offered the
binaries as proof of concept, and it's corresponding buildscripts for
reference. I'm not gonna start reciting msdn documentation on this list, that's
a developers responsibility to first and foremost educate himself
with the toolchain involved.

Actually I might also be interested by the solution in the future. That
message will stay in the list archive for years, but will the links to
your personnal webpage still be valid then ?

Lua is used by many non-programmers. Also being able to compile Lua
doesn't mean you're a programmer or that you know how to use the MSDN
(which is not newbie friendly). So while a simple RTFM is valid for
programmers (and you did a good job by pointing to the right manual, ie.
the MSDN), for non programmers it's probably more irritating than
educating.