Funny, au contraire, I've always thought of LISP as a very macho
language, that didn't believe in sugar (hence the famous quote
'syntactical sugar gives you cancer of the semi-colon'). The  attitude
seems to be: 'Programs are data. Get over it'.  It is a very elegant
and direct expression of a mathematical framework (lambda calculus)
and that appeals to the computer scientists.

But here, we have a perfectly good language, with anonymous functions,
closures, etc, without 30 years of intellectual baggage. And Fabien is
very happy to organize LISP-style macros for you in Lua.

I enjoyed LISP in my youth because it was the only interpreted
higher-level language on the mainframe. Since then I haven't missed
it.

steve d.