No, it does not mean toilet in Hawaiian.. Some silly portuguese explorer was invited to a luau, and badly needed to take a piss, but he wasn't able to communicate with the people, and since outhouses usually have a crescent on the front, he pointed at it yelling 'lua, lua', so it's basically hawaiians who started thinking portuguese called toilets 'lua'..

It is however the name of an hawaiian martial art.

(Btw, I don't see how the portuguese word for 'moon' would be any more poetic than the english or estonian or japanese one...)

Luiz Henrique de Figueiredo wrote:
This just goes to prove that how you name a language is important

"Lua" is a beautiful word in Portuguese and has a poetic meaning.
But it means "toilet" in Hawaiian and is also a Hawaiian martial art.
It also means something in Vietnamese, but I don't know what.