Tim Kelly wrote:
Sure, but Lua is more than a language, isn't it? "C" is a language,
but has multiple compilers. I don't have to worry about the C language
going away, although my choice of compiler may change. Since Lua doesn't
run natively (object code), there's a piece that has to exist that is
dependent on Lua as a whole.

And, since that piece is written in standard C, you have exactly the same dependencies and the same compilers as C has. That's all the support I need and I'm really happy with that :-)

I had my share of eye openers as far as 'official support' is concerned, starting in Apple II times. If you really wish for 10-year (or even 5-year) support for any language, you're not asking for Lua, you're asking for the Moon.

  Enrico