"John Hind" <john.hind@zen.co.uk> writes:
> While this could be set individually on each table created, it would not
> work like the relationship between the String Library and the String type,
> which is automatic. The advantage of type metatables is that they apply
> automatically to all objects of that type while instance metatables have to
> be applied to each object on or after creation.

Right, but what I was saying was that your case (2) could be implemented
using only your case (1), so there's no need for a more complex search
mechanism, only for a global default table metatable.

> Incidentally I find your signature quote inappropriately offensive for a
> public mailing list.

Actually, I agree with you ... :-/   My apologies (to you and to the list).

[I appended a big list of quotes from the "Devil's Dictionary" to my
random sig file, and neglected to remove the, er, nastier entries...]

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia