I like the idea of a virtual conference; it would eliminate the expense and, for some, the difficulty of travel. However, is video really worth the bandwidth it consumes? I think audio plus slides (ideally delivered as HTML) would be quite enough, except perhaps for a few presentations which involve a live demo. Eliminating video would probably make it possible to host more participants. Eliminating video would also reduce hardware and software requirements; we wouldn't all have to be running Leopard and iChat AV. I think it would be quite enough to hear the participants' voices, but then my perspective is probably different than most, since I'm legally blind.

Anyway, I'd love to try it, so long as I don't have to get a Mac.

Matt