Ross Berteig wrote:
I suspect that DLLs "should" also get manifests, but I don't know what kind of quirky mess you get when an application with a manifest nameing one version of the CRT assembly loads a DLL naming another version. Somehow I don't think that DLL hell has been completely eradicated yet.... or that it can be in an environment where a whole community supports an application and a rich array of plug-in DLLs.

Not to be the pessimist I always am, but this almost seems to rule out binary distribution of *independent* plug-ins for the Windows platform. Surely this problem must have been solved already for Perl, PHP, Python, etc?! I can't believe it's the same mess over there :)

 - Peter Odding