This reminds me of a question I've had kicking around in the back of my head for a bit:

To what extent would one need to extend the Lua VM in order to run JavaScript programs reasonably efficiently? The idea would be to have a shared Lua/JavaScript runtime with compilers for both languages.

Why would one want to do this? If obe could largely retain Lua's size and speed virtues, one would have an option for web browsers where size matters that would also slip Lua in via the backdoor so to speak.

What I don't know is just how many points there are where the two languages are close but not close enough.

Mark