For our work (policy based network management) we developed a
distributed notification system / publish-subscribe service /
content-based router, you name it.

If you want to know how it is supposed to be used look here :
http://www.ran.org.uy/wiki/field.php?n=Implementation.RnR .
The actual implementation there is not something i'm proud of, and i'm
reworking it right now to cut a lot of cruft and make place for some
needed functionality, like automatic overlay network creation.

Jorge