Hello John,

> Yes, although this means your extension will get called a lot so it had
> better return very promptly when it has nothing to do.

i think that checking extension and returning empty list would be in
microseconds range. and this particular extensions don't called a lot
- only when user right-click or runs/prints/... the file

> My concern is more
> about which process the Lua runtime and scripts run in - you have little
> control as these extensions are in-process DLLs running in Explorer's
> process. With some Windows configurations you will get one instance of your
> add-in, with others one per Explorer window (plus do not forget the desktop,
> IE and other places where these extensions get invoked).

and you think that 100 kb (for pure Lua) or 500 kb (for Grunt) is too
much for loading it in every process?

> I'm sure these issues can be surmounted, but like I say it may not be as
> simple as it seems at first, particularly if you want to do a general
> purpose extension system like FileMenuTools (which was the example that got
> me thinking on these lines).

> Good luck with it - I will be interested to see what you come up with!

i just need to add RCM to my app, and this looks simplest way to do
so. we will see later how it will be useful for anyone else. at least
SciTE shell extension, that is my starting point, seems to become
popular among s/w developers needing to implement RCM. with a
ready-to-run scriptable solution (although much larger in size) some
developers would become really happy :)

one more question - if i use VS2008 and want to use static linking,
should i download these archives:
  lua5_1_4_Win32_vc9_lib.zip
  lua5_1_4_Win64_vc9_lib.zip
?