Andrew Wilson wrote:
> I've an older machine PC I run linux on.
>
> andrew:/usr/local/bin$ /usr/local/bin/luajit-2.0.0-beta1
> /home/andrew/spectral.lua 5500
> /usr/local/bin/luajit-2.0.0-beta1: Sorry, SSE2 CPU support required
> for this beta release
>
> Will SSE2 support be minimum required?

The status page mentions it:

  The JIT compiler can only generate code for CPUs with SSE2 at
  the moment. I.e. you need at least a P4, Core 2/i5/i7 or K8/K10
  to use it. I plan to fix this during the beta phase and add
  support for emitting x87 instructions to the backend.

But this is a lot of work and kind of low priority right now. In
the meantime you could just use LJ1. Or try building LJ2 as a pure
interpreter. Uncomment this line in the Makefile;

  XCFLAGS+= -DLUAJIT_DISABLE_JIT

Then run 'make clean && make'. The interpreter uses x87 only
(wouldn't make much of a difference to use SSE2 there).

--Mike