> There is an annoying limitation that the main program *itself* can't
> use syntax extensions implemented in this way --- because the thing
> that loads the package loader wasn't loaded *with* the package loader
> --- but it may be possible to work around this using the -l command
> line argument. I haven't tried that yet.

Are you aware of the LUA_INIT environment variable? It might enable you
to load your syntax extensions before the main program is run without
having to explicitly require the syntax extensions through the -l
command line argument every time you run a script that uses syntax
extensions. See http://lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#6

 - Peter Odding