On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 06:22:23PM +0800, h visli wrote:
> Yes, I also noticed those words, but it still confusing me, maybe my English is poor, can you put more detailed explanation? Thanks In Advance!

hmm, how to explain "can be any"?
Does this make any sense to you?
http://translate.google.de/translate_t?hl=&ie=UTF-8&text=x+CAN+BE+ANY+of+the+indices+that+directly+precedes+a+nil+value&sl=en&tl=zh-CN#

Anyway, another attempt using different words:
The implementation is allowed to return an arbitrary
"index n such that t[n] is not nil and t[n+1] is nil".

In your example both 1 and 3 are allowed.
The definition does not say it must be the lowest or largest such n
to allow an efficient implementation.
Still it's well defined for arrays without holes.

best