steve donovan wrote:
On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM, stefan <stefan@chehalispost.com> wrote:
1) User registration w/profiles (avatars optional but highly desired)

Sputnik does have user registration with Gravatar support.

2) Multiple threads under multiple 'groups' or topics (a thread hierarchy)

Presenting this nicely is the challenge.

3) A global/topic search function for subject line & message text

Comes out of the box, just need to customize the output.

4) Email notification of a new message in a subscribed thread

We talked about this. Anybody know how to persuade socket.smtp to work
with secure SMTP servers?

5) Thread subscriptions (see #4 - e.i. 'watch this thread', turns the forum
into a filtered mailing list in effect)

Once there is extended user profile information, not difficult.

6) BBcode or other such simple markup support

Sputnik has Markdown support, but this is part of a general mechanism
that can be extended to any markup scheme.

7) New posts (front page shows the most recent 10/20/50 posted-in threads)

Common extras of dubious value:
I would agree with the 'dubious' ;)

steve d.

PS. Some of these features in any case would be very useful in the
Snippets site, e.g. the 'lost password' problem.

These are good point to be aware of. I will definitely keep Sputnik at the top of my list when (and if) it comes time to Luaify the forums. I am setting up a phpBB instance for now. Why tackle two potential boomerangs at once, eh?