Hear, hear!

-- Average function using arithmetic mean
-- (using proposed math.sum function)
function math.avg(...)
    return math.sum(...) / select("#",...)
end

On a side note, I find it vaguely disappointing how many (too quick) responses to the original post were utterly wrong given the sample results. I know (hope?) we all could do better given some real effort. This seems to be a bit of a trend lately - of shooting from the hip with solution/sample code. Perhaps we should be less quick to respond and more careful with such responses?