I believe that we (as a community) have a lot to learn from the such
hate speech. It raises questions (like "*Why* do not they Love Lua as
we do?").
Because they don't understand.

Solution: Better education on:
o What Lua is
o Why Lua is the way it is
o What are benefits of this approach
o What are the deficits of this approach

On a separate note I thought the original article that prompted this thread was a good pre-interview selector. It seems to me that the writer of the original web article had not thought very deeply about why Lua is the way it is. For me, that fails him as an interview candidate.

Stephen
In some ways the Lua language and community reminds me of Vorlons. So much is implied, so little is stated up front. Doesn't even have a consistent object system. You have to discover for yourself. Kind of pre-selects for the curious and intelligent. Not the best fit for generating maximum uptake of what you are offering, even if it is great. For example, despite thinking Lua is great and knowing that Lua is much faster than Ruby, for my next web project I'm doing it using Ruby. I want a consistent object model that I can leverage other toolkits with. Thats worth more to me than the speed and flexibility that Lua offers.