On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:16:20PM +0200, Martijn van Buul (Ellips B.V.) wrote:

> > Well, thanks for clearing it up. I have replaced the icon in my
> > project now, because the license of the logo is not compatible
> > with the GPL. :-(
>
> Apart from the observation that the correct phrase should be
> "The GPL is incompatible with..." (as it firmly puts the blame
> back where it belongs), I'm not sure I see the problem, nor do
> I see how the GPL is even involved. If you load the logo from
> disk instead of embedding it in the source, the GPL is no longer
> a hindrance.

First of all I chose the GPL not because I had to, but because I wanted it.
I want my package to be Free Software and I want it to stay free as in freedom.

Free Software means among other things that anybody can make changes as he wishes.
If someone offers a package which he calls Free Software and doesn't allow to
make changes to everything, then I would call that cheating.
I want my whole software package to be Free Software and I don't want to be cheating!

Well, maybe I could use the logo on my website... The website is not Free Software.

--
AKFoerster