Thanks, everyone... after looking at some of the options, and looking
at the version of Photoshop that I have, I think I can write a raw
file that interleaves the RGB data in either 8 bit or 16 bit depths. I
am also looking into what Gimp on the Mac can do...

Oh, and I guess I should say that I am on Mac OS X 10.4.11.

I was trying to remember the XPM format, and had thought about the
NETPBM formats, but those are not read directly by Photoshop. At the
same time, I could just find some conversion utility. Maybe Gimp will
read those formats. I had not thought of the ImageMagick stuff, but I
probably wouldn't want to use that...

I really appreciate all the assistance that everyone suggested. I am
essentially trying to investigate some fractal data and wanted to
produce some simple grayscale and color plots. I have a Java program
that does this, but having moved to Lua in the last year, I wanted to
have everything usable from there...

Mike