> I don't see any mention of anonymous closure caching [1] in the docs +
> incompatibility list.
>
> Here's also other changes from [2] missing in the changes/incompatibility lists:
>
> - added package.config (also existed undocumented in 5.1 with one less newline)
> - string.format("%q") now escapes control characters
> - safer os.date()
> - new luaL_testudata
> - division and modulo no longer folded if the second argument is zero
> - new functions: lua_tonumberx and luatointegerx
> - Lua 5.2 ABI and bytecode is incompatible with 5.1
> - almost all deprecated features from 5.1 were removed.
> - debug module no longer loaded by default
> - debug.getlocal gets parameter names of inactive functions
> - debug.upvalueid and debug.upvaluejoin (in addition to mentioned
> lua_upvalueid + lua_upvaluejoin)
> - istailcal added to debug info (in addition to mentioned nparams and isvararg)
> - new pattern %g represents all printable characters except space
> - allow passing negative index to select()
> - If file was opened by io.popen(), file:close() returns process' exit code
> - lua_checkstack is now only returns error codes (never raises)
> - "luaL_version" mentioned in readme.html should instead be "luaL_checkversion"
> - new function luaL_traceback.
> - new functions luaL_newlib and luaL_requiref (in addition to
> mentioned luaL_register)
> - added environmented variables LUA_PATH_5_2, etc.

Many thanks for the list. I may be wrong, but I guess the only
incompatibility here is a minor change in function equality resulting
from the caching of closures. Some changes (e.g., division by zero no
longer folded) seem to much detail for the list of changes.  We will
include the others in the list (for beta).

-- Roberto