jgiors@threeeyessoftware.com wrote:
------------------------------

[snip]

I'm certain there is a way to include FP inaccuracy in the list without
giving the impression that it is Lua specific. At the very least, I
would recommend placing it further down the list (though I believe the
current list is not in priority order). Better yet, have a separate
section for items which are not Lua specific, but tend to trip up
newbies w/o programming experience.

John Giors
Independent Programmer
Three Eyes Software
jgiors@ThreeEyesSoftware.com
http://ThreeEyesSoftware.com

+1. Having the list split up in sections (maybe in multiple "dimensions": beginner vs. intermediate, Lua specific vs. general programming) IMHO would be a huge timesaver compared to a linear "frequency-sorted" FAQ.

I don't have actual numbers here, but I got the feeling (reading this list) that people reach Lua in many different fashions and with a wide range of programming backgrounds, so a WoW gamer with no programming experience would probably be caught by different "gotchas" than, say, an experienced C programmer.

And since Lua's only number type is by default FP, people with no programming experience could well be tripped up early by its intricacies (I remember the first time I learned of different number types when learning Pascal ~20 years ago and it was a big "What?!? Ohhh!" experience ;-) :-) but Lua+programming beginners won't have that chance! :-) )

--
Lorenzo