On Wed, Dec 29, 2010 at 12:48:06PM +0200, Drake Wilson wrote:
> Quoth Dirk Laurie <dpl@sun.ac.za>, on 2010-12-29 12:19:14 +0200:
> > 6. Unless one can find a way to mimic them by some sort of anonymous
> >     recursive function constructor.
>
> And the canonical anonymous recursive function constructor _is in fact
> the Y combinator_, which:
> requires zero changes to the syntax and zero screwy parsing or textual
> substitutions in code or environment munging or anything like that,
> and does not require naming the target function in any way other than
> inside its own body (which all your purported examples do by reserving
> a word instead).
>
> You _have_ your anonymous recursive function constructor.  I just gave
> it to you, and so did someone else.  Now, what's wrong with it?

Nothing wrong with it, except that for some reason my inbox did not
yet show these two posts when my corns started aching.  In fact, even
though I can read some replies to my own ill-humoured post, that post
itself has also not yet appeared in my inbox.

Thanks, Drake and Wim, for the suggestion.

Dirk