On 1/23/11, Pierre-Yves Gérardy <pygy79@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 16:22, joao lobato <btnfdp.lobato@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Now, I'll be the first to recognize that my latest message in this
>> list was kind of flamebait material, but honestly, I can't understand
>> the need to change the language.
>>
>> Lua has its scope and I believe that Roberto and Luiz have made it
>> clear that it's not about replacing Python/Ruby; frankly, that seems
>> to be the aim of all this suggestions.
>>

> Sure, actually, I hesitated a lot before posting this, but I though it
> wouldn't hurt.
>
> The aim is not to replace anything, just to make what is usually
> considered a best practice (using locals as much as possible) easier
> to do thanks to the default syntax.
>
> However, I don't have any strong feeling about this. I think I'll end
> up writing my own thing based on the Lua VM, and won't bother the list
> with these suggestions.
>
> If it annoyed you (and others), I apologize.
>
> -- Pierre-Yves

Well, I'm the one who should apologize.

It's not my place saying what should or should not be discussed here.

Targeting the Lua VM does seem a good choice, although, save for
outputing Lua source,  it would be targeting one particular
implementation (vanilla or LuaJIT?; 5.1 or 5.2?).

Either way, experimenting and contributing in the form of working code
is what benefits the community, not comments like mine.