On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 14:41, Michael Gogins <michael.gogins@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the most useful languages for a Web developer are PHP, Java,
> .NET., and Python, not sure about the order.
>
> I think LuaJIT+FFI is a tremendously exciting language and offers many
> things that would be very valuable for a Web stack, i.e. developing
> Web servers, page templating, etc., especially because with LuaJIT+FFI
> the code might well run more or less as fast as C code.
>
> But there are not yet the huge libraries of tested code that Web
> developers can use with these other langauges.
>
> I have myself developed Web sites with pure C++, Java, C#, PHP, and
> Python. The easiest way to go was definitely Python. If the libraries
> existed, Lua would be not quite as easy to use as Python, but probably
> quite a bit more efficient; I think it would become my first choice...
> if the libraries existed.
>
> Regards,
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM, Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> wrote:
>> I've been a programmer for 24 years. I have a background (way back)
>> in C and Assembler and about a dozen other languages. These days I
>> do primarily web development using python. There might be a market
>> for me for mobile devices.
>>
>> I would welcome sincere comments on whether lua might be useful for
>> me. I don't mean to troll for an argument or a language war, but
>> just to see if there might be practical application for me to learn
>> lua.
>>
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Tim
>> tim at johnsons-web.com or akwebsoft.com
>> http://www.akwebsoft.com
>>

> --
> Michael Gogins
> Irreducible Productions
> http://www.michael-gogins.com
> Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

Recently there was some discussion about mod_lua on the Apache
developers mailing list. I mentioned there that I feel Lua could
replace PHP as the number one web scripting language if mod_lua were
stable (i.e. not still in beta) and it were implemented well (not
making some of PHP's mistakes such as putting everything in the global
scope with no consistent naming or parameter schemes). I've wanted to
use Lua for all the things I currently use PHP for ever since I
discovered it.

--
Sent from my toaster.